The American Association of Physical Anthropologists sponsors the following awards and opportunities for its members.
The highest professional honors bestowed by the AAPA are:
- Professional Development Grants provide up to $5000 to support the career development of individuals at the beginning of their professional careers.
- Pollitzer Student Travel Awards are designed to help student members defray the costs of attending the AAPA meetings. You do not need to be presenting at the meeting.
AAPA Student Awards
- Student Presentation Awards. The AAPA awards seven prizes to outstanding student poster and podium presentations at the annual meeting. The first author of the presentation must be the student.
Getting involved in the AAPA
- Early Career Executive Committee Mentoring provides the opportunity for a recent PhD AAPA member to become involved with the governances of the association and to bring to the Executive Committee issues of interest and concern to members in their early careers.
- Student Liaison to the Executive Committee is tasked with increasing student participation, co-chairing the ad hoc student committee, bringing to the Executive committee issues of interest and concern to the student members and assisting the Career Development Committee and the Auction Committee in planning and implementation.
- Ethics Fellows Program is intended to raise the level of ethical literacy among the AAPA membership and to provide interested members—particularly those early in their careers—an opportunity to engage actively with the Ethics Committee and gain experience with ethics educational and research projects.
- Auction Donors and Volunteers are always needed. Donating items for the silent and live auction, bidding on items and volunteering at the auction are all a fun way to support student travel awards.
- Volunteering. There are many additional ways to become involved in the AAPA and all members are encouraged to become involved.